do something special

do something special

Sunday 11 May 2014

Rabbit Awareness Week

Hi there, I'm Laila and my mum, Auntie Laura to those at the animal home, asked me to let you know a few things about us furry bunnies since it is Rabbit Awareness Week.

A little about me...I was rescued from a home where I was living with another rabbit in a hutch outside that was too small for the both of us. We were both hormonal and well, tempers flare in a confined space. It wasn't my owners fault, they just didn't know much about caring for rabbits and the breeder they bought us from had given them false information. We were apparently from the same litter and would live fine together but do I look like a Netherland Dwarf to you...


I've turned out to be a pretty big bun compared to my hutch mate and we just weren't getting along. My owners couldn't afford to have us neutered or have the space to keep us separate so my mum came to the rescue and took me to my very own home. I now live a life of enormous luxury as a housebunny. I have a cage in the living room with lots and lots of hay for me to eat and snuggle up in, a litter tray and a constant supply of fresh water. But it doesn't stop there, I have free run of the downstairs as I've not worked out how to do stairs, they look scary!

My dad had a delivery the other week and now I have a giant box that I can gnaw on, run about in and play hide and seek in when mum is trying to find me to groom me. I'm not a fan of being groomed, I quite like my breechers. Though being a longish haired bun, I do have to put up with it sometimes otherwise I would look all scruffy and since I'm a lady, we can't have that.



Now, food. I love food! I get a handful of some yummy Excel pellets and some fresh food. Not too much though because I'll get fat. I get a variety from chichory and celery to dandelion and green beans. I'm so spoilt, I even eat better than mum and dad sometimes especially when they forget to go shopping for freezer stuff. My mum has included a link to let you guys know what foods are safe for us to eat http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/resources/content/info-sheets/safefoods.htm Just remember everything in moderation. Muesli isn't good for us as we just pick out all the yummy sugary bits, too much fruit isn't good for us and spring greens can lead to a build up in calcium which can cause bladder stones, they are nasty!


I had a bladder stone last year and had to have an operation to remove it. It wasn't fun and my mum had to nurse me back to full health as I didn't respond well after the anaesthetic. It wasn't cheap either but my mum had me insured so it was cheap as carrots.



Many owners don't bother to get their bunnies insured which is silly really because what happens when we get sick? Vet treatments don't come cheap and if you can't afford it, you either have to give us up to a rescue who will foot the bill or have us put to sleep. I think both options are frankly stupid when you could be paying a little every month which will mean you can keep your lovely bunny and keep them healthy and happy.

Me enjoying a frolic in the snow
Back on the food front, if you let your bunny put on extra weight they may not be able to clean themselves properly which isn't good. If they get a dirty bum, in the warm weather flystrike is a risk and that is BAD! Make sure you check your bunny a regularly to make sure they are keeping themselves clean. Bigger buns sometimes need a little help. Check your bun when they have been running about outside to make sure no flys have laid eggs. Info on flystrike http://www.medicanimal.com/viewarticle/~contentId=111555/~nodeTrailCsv=AR-SMALL_ANIMALS-RABBIT_SPECIFIC,111555/~category_id=MA_SMALL_ANIMALS If you have concerns that flystrike has happened to your rabbit, get them to a vet as a matter of urgency. We may not like the vets but we'll thank you for it afterwards.

We also need yearly vaccinations to protect us from some other yucky things. For all you need to know about the yucky stuff and how to protect us visit http://www.rspca.org.uk/allaboutanimals/pets/rabbits/health/vaccinations

Us rabbits were born to be sociable but I think they broke the mould with some of us. Most of the bunnies at York RSPCA live in pairs and love to snuggle up and frolic together but I personally prefer my own space. My mum did try getting me a friend called Alfie who was rescued as a stray.


He is rather cute but honestly I just prefer my own space and didn't want some demanding boyfriend stealing my food. He has since found himself a bachelor pad and is living it up as a house bunny too.
Now whilst I'm quite happy alone with my mum and dad for company, most rabbits would like a friend and are much happy together than alone so please consider getting your lonely bun a pal. Marshmallow and Mayo from York RSPCA will be bringing you a blog all about bonding and companionship. If things don't work out, don't worry, it may not be the right match or maybe they are a mould breaker bun like me. If you have a mould breaker, you need to make sure they have lots of things to do. Tunnels to run through, enrichment boxes to dig in, toys and maybe a hammock...
Will someone tell mum to buy me one?!


 One last thing I wanted to tell you guys is, we can live a long time. We aren't like those easter chocolate bunnies that last five minutes once you unwrap them. We can live on average 8-12 years depending on our breed and size so unless you are willing to commit to a rabbit for 12 years, please let someone else take them home.


 I'm almost 5 now and couldn't have had a better life so far, other than maybe having that hammock! And there is plenty of life in me yet. I have no doubt that I'll be spoilt until the end of my days.

Goodbye for now,
Lots of bunny love from Laila





No comments:

Post a Comment